Homemade Refried Beans are one of my favorite pantry staples! I always have a can of pinto beans in my pantry, and with a few simple ingredients, you can whip up these beans as a side dish for taco night! I’m going to share just how simple, frugal, and easy these beans are and I know you will love them! You’ll never want to buy canned refried beans again!Homemade Refried Beans are simple, quick & easy! You can whip them up with just a few simple ingredients! – Frugal Fun Mom Click To Tweet
Need Help Saving Even More On Groceries?
Wait! Before I dive into this post, I need to tell you about my Daily Coupon Checklist! Do you want to save even more at grocery store?
If you are just getting started with coupons and need help figuring out what you should be doing to get organized and start saving right away – then you need to get my Daily Coupon Checklist.
This FREE checklist will help you organize your week so that you do a simple coupon task each day, in 10 mins or less, to help you maximize your savings at the grocery store.
Get my Daily Coupon Checklist FREE by signing up below and I’ll email it right to you!
Want to remember this post? Pin this post, Make Your Own Pantry Staples Series: Katrina’s Homemade Refried Beans, to your favorite Pinterest board now!
I have quite a friends who love this homemade refried beans recipe and never believe me when I tell them just how easy it is to make. Many people have asked me over the years for this recipe and I’m so glad to share it with you all!
Mexican Food is a Staple In Our House!
You see, Mexican food is a staple in itself around our house. We love it! In fact, my husband’s favorite meal is tacos, so we have them, a lot. All three of my kids agree on Mexican food, so it’s one of my go-to meals.
I know none of my kids will complain at dinner of a sudden sickness, to keep from having to eat what I’ve just made. I’m not kidding. This happens in my house a lot. Especially, when only 5 minutes earlier that same child crawled across my kitchen floor claiming he was so hungry he was about to faint. Crazy how they can go from being starving, to sick and not wanting to eat in 10 minute time period?! Am I right? Please don’t tell me it’s only my kids that do this?!
This recipe is super simple to make. All you need is a blender or food processor. I have a food processor and it’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets! I use it all the time to make these beans and homemade salsa! A blender will also work great, or if you don’t have a blender, you can use an immersion blender
How To Save BIG At The Grocery Store
Now, before we move on, make sure you sign up for my exclusive freebie – Daily Coupon Checklist!
Don’t let this freebie pass you by! If nothing else, you’ll want to snag this freebie just to make sure you are doing all you can to save money with coupons!
I want to do everything in my power to provide you with great tools that pave the way for you to become and remain a stay at home mom!
Katrina’s Homemade Refried Bean Recipe:
- 2 14.5oz cans of Pinto Beans (save some of the liquid in the cans)
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 TBS Adobo Seasoning
Open two 14.5oz cans of pinto beans or 1 big 30oz can. Pour off some of the liquid, but not all of it. Dump the beans and the remaining liquid into a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients.
Blend on high until well mixed. You can keep blending until the beans are super smooth or you can stop when there are still some lumps. I personally like my bean dip to have some lumps (this sounds so gross as I write it, but still – lumps are good).
Check the mixture for desired consistency. You are going for a bean dip consistency – you want it to be a bit on the runny side – if the mixture is too thick, just add a tablespoon of water and mix again.
Pour into a oven-safe ceramic bowl or square baker. Bake at 350 degrees for 30mins, uncovered.
You can easily double this recipe if you will be taking to a pot-luck or sharing with guests at a party! Katrina’s Homemade Refried Beans are a perfect side dish for any Mexican themed dinner, or and excellent appetizer for hanging out with friends. Super quick and easy to whip up and only requires a few ingredients!
Save Money On Homemade Refried Beans:
- Make sure to buy your ingredients when they are on sale. I love to stock up on canned goods whenever my local grocery store is having a sale on them, and because we use pinto beans a lot, I always try to have a couple cans in my pantry.
- Use coupons and stack with any Ibotta rebates you can find to maximize savings. New to Ibotta? Read this post to learn Why You Should Use Ibotta To Save Money and how it can earn you cash at the grocery store.
- Buy in bulk and start building your stockpile when you find homemade refried beans ingredients at their rock bottom price. Wondering how to build a stockpile? Read this post – 5 Simple Steps to Build a Stockpile to learn how!
Katrina’s Homemade Refried Beans Substitutions:
- You can use any type of sour cream – whole fat, fat free, etc. Honestly, I’ve tried them all and because this recipe mixes all the ingredients up together, you don’t really notice a big difference between the whole fat and fat free cream.
- If you don’t have any sour cream, you can use plain greek yogurt. I’ve done this a few times in a pinch and it’s really good tasting, plus it gives the recipe extra protein!
- With the cheese, you can use any type you like – full fat, 1/2 fat, fat free. I personally like full fat cheddar, but mexican blend would be nice or even pepper jack cheese!
- I’ve also tried this recipe with black beans. My family thinks pinto beans taste better, but black beans are not too bad either! If you really want to be daring try a can of both – 1 can black beans, and 1 can pinto beans! It’s still really good!
The best part about this homemade refried beans recipe is that you can experiment by using what you have and it will still taste great – plus you will be saving money by shopping from you own pantry!
Other Make Your Own Pantry & Cleaning Staples Recipes:
- Katrina’s Homemade Granola
- Taco Seasoning
- Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner
- Healthy Balsamic Lime Salad Dressing
Give this homemade refried beans recipe a try and let me know what you think! I can’t wait to hear how you made them and how they tasted! Plus, I’d love to know what kind of deal you got on the ingredients to whip them up! You’ve got this momma!
Wait! Before You Go…
Wait! Before you go, don’t forget to snag my exclusive freebie – Daily Coupon Checklist! Sign up below and I’ll email you this amazing tool right now! This tool will help you fit couponing into your already busy mom life, and will show you how to coupon in as little as 10 minutes a day! Snag your copy now by signing up below!