This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Wondering how to save money on party food at your child’s next birthday party? It’s a legitimate question to think about and thankfully, I’ve got some ideas for you!
I love to plan birthday parties for my kids, so I have lots of fun ideas of how to make the most of a birthday party without spending a lot of money. One place you can really save money at your child’s next birthday party is with the food.
Hang on and I’ll share some money saving tips on how to have a great birthday party without breaking the bank on the food and drinks for party guests!
Wait! Before I Dive In…
Wait! Before I dive into this post – all this talk about birthday party food reminds me that I have a really great tool, my Kids Birthday Party Supply List, to help you know the only supplies you actually need for your next birthday party! This list will help you know just what you need and what you don’t, as well as where to find the best deals!
Plus, most of the items on this list you can use again and again! With this list, you can plan an awesome kids birthday party, on a serious budget, without sacrificing any of the fun! Get your free printable copy of my Kids Birthday Party Supply List now! Sign up below and I’ll email it right to you!
Want to remember this post? Pin this post, Save Money On Party Food – Frugal Friday Tip #15, to your favorite Pinterest board right now!
You Can Save Money On Birthday Party Food
You can save money on birthday party food and drinks at your next party and STILL have a great party!
Katrina, are you sure? I mean how can you have a great party without lots of great food? The simple answer Is that yes you can! Just change how you think about the food and the guests.
Because we are talking about kids, you don’t need to go over the top with the food – no child cares that the food is shaped like a dinosaur – while it may look really neat, all they really care about is that they have something to eat and that all their friends are there!
Don’t Get Too Wrapped Up In The Details
I don’t know about you, but I know I tend to get really wrapped up in the details of a party and how everything looks. I love making sure all the games have a clever names and that all the colors of the party match and that cake is over the top (which usually means it takes hours to do).
Then I remember, kids don’t care if the food has a clever name matches the theme of the party, or if the cake took me a whole day to make. As a mom, it’s easy to get so wrapped up in the party planning, and forget that our kids don’t care about the fine details.
Kids just want a party, and are happy to have something to eat – and when you don’t offer them a lot of choices, there is no time to be picky.
When it comes to party food, just keep it really simple. Offer a few of the birthday boy’s favorite snacks and call it good.
In fact, if you can find their favorite snack on sale at the grocery store and you can use a coupon on top of that – even better! I’ll be really honest, there have been quite a few parties in my house where the food that was served was whatever was on sale that week at the store or was stuff I found in my kitchen stockpile.
Don’t Feel Guilty About Saving Money
It’s ok to save money, even when you are planning a party! Don’t feel guilty one bit that you purchased the discount cookies instead of the brand name Oreo’s that were double the price.
It’s ok, and wise to save money whenever you can, especially when you are a stay at home mom living on one income. Instead of feeling guilty – have fun with it! Celebrate your savings! I’ll celebrate with you anytime!
How to Save Money On Birthday Party Food
Now back to the topic at hand. How to save money on birthday party food. I have a few ideas for you and hope they will help you save money on birthday party food for your next party.
- Plan your party around snack time, not mealtime, so you only need to serve light snacks and cake. I love to have parties either at 10am or 2pm.
- It’s ok to only serve cake!
- Make your own cake instead buying it – that in itself will save you money. If making a cake is not your thing (which is ok!!!!) consider just making cupcakes with a little frosting and sprinkles.
- If the thought of making a cake or cupcakes scares you to death – ask a friend that is good in the kitchen if they would make it for you, or if they would help you make one.
- Your cake doesn’t have to be a work of art. Not at all. If you enjoy baking and want to give a complicated cake a try, then go for it! I’ll cheer you on! If you know you are not great at making cakes, that’s ok. I can tell you that your child will love whatever you come up, even if it’s not a professional looking cake. Give it your best shot! Again, I’ll be cheering for you!
- Only serve light snacks. A bowl of pretzels and popcorn. No need to serve a big meal.
- Use coupons to buy your snacks. Sometimes you can buy name brand snacks cheaper than generic when you use a coupon.
- Check the grocery store sales and buy snacks that are on sale. Sometimes it’s cheaper to buy the generic snacks, instead of the name brand.
- Don’t serve individually packaged drinks – save the money and buy a large drink dispenser and simply serve flavored water! You can make a lot for a fraction of the price. Plus, kids usually take one sip of a bottle and are done. Our favorite flavor of water is strawberry! All you do is simply add a few slices of a strawberry to a large drink dispenser like this one, about 20 minutes before the party. The best part, there is no mess because it’s just water!
You see, there are so many small ways to save money on birthday party food that really do add up in the end! Using these tips, I hope you will save a lot of money on your child’s next birthday party!
Birthday Party Themes & Planning Tips
If you a looking for some fun birthday party themes or planning tips, you have come to the right place! I love birthday parties so much that I have lots of other posts you might want to check out with some great ideas!
- Only Supplies You Need for a Kids Birthday Party on a Budget!
- How To Make a Pinata The Easy Way
- One & Only Theme That Fits Any Kids Birthday Party!
What are your favorite ways to save money on birthday party food? Share your thoughts in the comments below! I can’t wait to hear!
Also, if you need someone to cheer you on for all the amazing ways you save money – I’m your girl! Comment and tell me all about how you save money on birthday parties! You go momma!
Before You Go..
Don’t forget to sign up for my Kids Birthday Party Supply List! I promise this is the only list you will need to plan your next party! You’re going to love it! Get it now!